At Slaithwaite CE J&I School, we recognise that all pupils regardless of their background should have equal access to a curriculum which will enable them to reach their full potential. The pupil premium is a Government initiative that targets extra money to pupils from deprived backgrounds. Research shows that many of these pupils underachieve, compared to their peers.
The Government have looked at pupils entitled to Free School meals as an indicator for deprivation, and have deployed a fixed amount of money to schools per pupil, based on the number of pupils eligible for Free School meals. Looked After Children, Previously Looked After Children and those of Armed Service Personnel are also eligible for this increased funding.
The Government are not dictating how schools should spend this money, but are clear that schools will need to employ the strategies that they know will support these pupils to increase their attainment, and to ‘diminish the gap’ between their attainment and the attainment of other pupils.
You can apply for pupil premium funding here: Pupil Premium Funding Application
When making decisions about using Pupil Premium funding, it is important that leaders consider the context of the school and the subsequent challenges faced. At Slaithwaite CE J&I School our intention is that all pupils, irrespective of background or the challenges they face, make good progress and achieve attainment goals across all subjects.
Our ultimate objectives are to:
- Remove barriers to learning created by disadvantage, backgrounds, home life and attitudes.
- Narrow the attainment gaps between disadvantaged pupils and their non-disadvantaged peers both within school and nationally.
- Ensure all pupils are able to read fluently and with good comprehension to enable them to access the wider curriculum.
- Develop confidence in their ability to communicate effectively in a wide range of con-texts.
- Enable pupils to look after their social and emotional well-being and to develop resilience.
- Access a wide range of opportunities and experiences to develop their knowledge and understanding of the local community and wider world.
Slaithwaite CE J&I School aims to use Pupil Premium funding to ensure high quality teaching and learning for all groups of learners. Leaders will also carefully research and consider evidence-based recommendations and implement effective approaches and intervention, in order to eradicate these barriers over time and accelerate pupil progress.